Monday, August 18, 2008

Forty...yes, forty years ago

Photobucket
My family didn't move to Holly until Valentine's Day 1969, so these school portraits would have been taken late in the school year. The average cost of a new home was $28k, median household income was $9K, a first-class postage stamp cost 6 cents and a gallon of gas set you back 35 cents.

Can anyone confirm that the upper right photo is Rex Brown? He once came over to play and threw my baton in the air and let it hit the ground, bending it in half.

I always that thought our principle, Mr. Mance had a kind face.

Lord, I've had bangs for 40 years.

Anyone with composites from Davisburg and Patterson Elementaries is welcome to send digital scans to me for the blog at fotonuvo1@yahoo.com .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember that when Mrs. Howe was not able to be at school, she would have her identical twin sister- MRs. Collins sub for her. I remember being very confused as a 1st grader.

Wendy Curtis Liebert said...

I have no memory of that at all! But then I do remember being very lost, being a new student. My parents didn't even tell Kelly and I we were moving! One minute I was in first grade in Berkley, go to my grandma's for the weekend (while my parents secretly moved) and Monday I'm in school in Holly! Twins?! That is fasinating! Thanks Nancy!